Town Clerk

*** Town Clerk 2021 Office Hours ***
Town of Goshen New York
Town Clerk - Priscilla Gersbeck
The Town Clerk has many duties which are mandated by law. The Town Clerk’s Office provides the general public, residents and non-residents, attorneys, accountants and other professionals with information on varied subjects including, but not limited to, local government services, town ordinances, local laws, State and local license and permit requirements, maintenance of related records pertaining to the issuance of those licenses and permits as well as issuing and maintaining records and handicap parking permits.

The Clerk's Office also provides Notary Service.

Registrar of Vital Statistics: The Registrar is responsible for maintaining all births that occur within the Town. Please note: Births at Arden Hill Hospital can be obtained at the Goshen Village Hall 845-294-6750. Birth and death records are not open to the public for inspection. For genealogical purposes, death records become available after fifty (50) years after the date of issuance. Birth records become available after seventy-five (75) years.

Filing Officer for the Town: All Local Laws, Oaths of Office, resignations, affidavits of publication, annual budgets, fiscal reports, bonds and other pertinent town documents are to be filed in the Town Clerk’s office. The clerk also maintains the public signboard, advertises and receives bids for the purchase of Town materials.

Issuing Agent on behalf of State Agencies: The Town Clerk issues the following licenses/permits as an agent for New York State: Marriage, Dog, Conservation, Games of Chance and Handicapped parking permits. ** Until further notice, the Goshen Town Clerk’s Office will NOT be issue marriage licenses. Please try back in March.

Records Management Officer: The Town Clerk is the custodian of all permanent Town records and provides for the storage, retrieval and disposition of records for all departments of the Town. The records are retained as set forth by the New York State Archives Records Retention Schedule for municipalities.

Records Access Officer: The Town Clerk is responsible for all Freedom of Information requests (FOIL). Requests must be received in writing. The fee for copies is $0.25 for a 9 x 14 inch page. Copies of other records may be charged based upon the actual cost of reproduction. Freedom of Information does not apply to court records.

Recording Secretary to the Town Board: The Town Clerk serves as a recording secretary wherein she prepares Town Board agendas and meeting folders, attends all Town Board meetings and is responsible for recording the actions of the Town Board. The minutes are the official record of the Town Board and are maintained permanently for legal and historical purposes.

Election Coordinator: The Town Clerk works in conjunction with the Board of Elections to oversee all special, primary and general elections in the Town. Below are brief descriptions of each type of license or permit issued by the Town Clerk's Office.


Licenses & Permits

Access to Public Records - Freedom of Information Request FOIL
Marriage License
Dog License & T.A.R.A. Certificates
Hunting & Fishing Licenses
Peddlers License
Bingo & Games of Chance License
Handicap Parking Permits
Public Assemblies Permit
Blasting & Explosive Permit
Carter - Hauling License
Genealogical Services (Birth & Death Certificates)